Monday, May 22, 2006

Vini Vidi Vici...daVinci

What is this world coming to? I swear just when I get a glimpse that perhaps we are all starting to get along, WHAM. Out of no where comes chaos and craziness fueled by the media. Ug!

If you've not read the book The DaVinci Code, I highly recommend it. I read it when it came out and loved it. I took it for what it was worth...FICTION! Its a book for heaven's sake. No where in the book does Dan Brown "claim" that anything he's writing about is real. He especially doesn't claim that his fictional creation of the story line is real.

Yet, we have religious zealots standing outside the movie theaters claiming all sorts of persucution to anyone who enters and watches this movie. Wait! Did I miss something? When did Christianity become and evil, god fearing cult? Regardless, I cannot for the life of me figure out what all the "hoo la la" is about this movie. ITS A MOVIE PEOPLE! FAKE! AS IN MADE UP! AS IN F-I-C-T-I-O-N!!!!

Here's my stance on this. I believe in God. I don't go to church. I question religion all the time because I was raised to ask questions. I don't think there's ONE God. I don't think that it even matters what YOU call your God. I think a person's "spirituality" says a lot more about them then their religion. I've known many of fine people who never attended church, but I never questioned their spirituality. I believe in God, but I'm okay with someone believing in another version of a god. I've been around the world and have been blessed with being able to see many types/forms of religion. I don't agree with all of them, but who am I to judge? If the Bible says, "Those without sin - caste the first stone." I certainly know I'm not first in line to judge anyone and their beliefs. And I'm quite sure the nut cases outside the theater aren't either. But I digress.

What I cannot figure out is if the biggest issue these folks have is that the movie is blasphomous - is it? If I am not catholic or any religion and I choose to see another persons perspective - is that blasphemy? I think not. It might be to some, but if your belief isn't in their god or their religion, is it?

And what of faith? Are these "faithful" so not faithful that they are concerned that a fictional movie will change their faith? Or perhaps suggest to others less faithful that the Catholic church and the foundation that religion is built on could be a lie? Then were they faithful at all? If something a simple as a movie can waver you and your belief system, shouldn't you be spending more time thinking about that belief system then condemning the rest of us for wanting to watch a FICTIONAL movie?

Did I mention that the DaVinci Code was FICTIONAL?

I hope I don't offend anyone who reads this, if I do, then you need to get thicker skin. I am all for people believing what they want to believe. That's the foundation of religion. I also believe there should be tolerance and acceptance of the other beliefs. I can't condemn another person because they choose to be Catholic any more than I can condemn someone for being Jewish. It's their choice. It's their right to have faith in something they believe to be good for them. I believe freedom of religion is one of our fundamental freedoms here in the US. (See the Constitution if you're confused on that point).

I categorize movies into 4 categories
1. Must see on big screen (paying full price is possible)
2. Mattinee only
3. Netflix only
4. Oh dear god I can't believe they wasted $$ on that.

The DaVince code is a solid 2. Its worth seeing, but may not be worth full price. The show outside the movie is definitly worth seeing - in fact, I'm surprised someone hasn't thought about selling tickets to watch the fireworks outside the theater between people.

**************************
Topic Switch
**************************
I spent approximately 8 hours this weekend with the current love of my life...Angel. Season one is complete and I'm well on my way into season 2. I just love him!

Saturday night I had a somewhat last minute BBQ. Mike, Gary, and Sherrie all came over to feast on Huli Huli chicken kebabs. I was, however, somewhat confused at the fact that my sticks burnt. The Food Channel told me - and if the food channel says it, its true - that if you let your sticks soak in water for a bit before you put the food on them, the sticks won't burn. My sticks burnt. Each kebab at one point had their own personal fire going on. Of course it couldn't be my BBQ technique. Of course not. I was taught by the "Master". (In case you haven't heard of this "Master" - he's also know as my dad).

My theme for this BBQ started out as Hawaiian and then went with a slight hint of Mid Eastern considering Kebabs are from the Middle East. So we had:
Pineapple - of course
Blue Hawaiians (Thanks for bringing that Gary - they were delish)
Saudi Coolers ("Traditional" Saudi drink that I think us Americans made up while we were there. Effectively Orange Juice, Applie Juice, Grennadine - and if you are in Saudi you stop there, but in the US you add Vodka)
Huli Huli chicken kebabs with vegi kebabs
Cous Cous with Quick Preserved Lemon
Tomato/Cuc/Asparagus/Feta/Kalamata Olive salad with a Lemon Vinigarette
And for dessert we had Berry Parfaits. I MADE - for the first time ever - my own whipped cream. Oh man, I'm full just thinking about how much food we had.
Oh and I had some Lime/Garlic Shrimps I threw on the barbie.

BURP!

6 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Jenn,

Welcome to Christianity in the 21st century. Actually, it started before that and religious fanatics have always been a pimple on humanity - and, sadly, the powerful Christian right is pushing mainstream Xianity further and further into the fanatical.

I didn't quite like The Da Vinci Code for other reasons. I found it poorly written - but that's just me. Like you, I think people should judge books and movies (etc) on their own merit. Personally, I'm itching to run out and see Gore's new flick coming out this week.

Jenn from WA said...

Ken - I can't wait for that movie. I'm very interested in seeing it. I'm not a tree hugger or squirrel petter by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe one must be informed.

Jenn from WA said...

Earth Cookie is the other phrase I almost used, but chose to be less PC by saying what I did.

Ken La Salle said...

Earth Cookies... mmm... I don't know. Wouldn't those be a little gritty? How about some pebble-chip cookies? ;)

Of course, there are always mud pies!

Anonymous said...

I found the book more about a murder than about religion. Maybe I'd heard too much hype before I finally got to the book.

Could it be that the folks who spend so much time convincing us that their religious ways are the "only" ways are really trying to convince themselves? My spiritual beliefs comes from inside, not people standing on sidewalks.

Jenn from WA said...

Well said Jackie!