Monday, May 08, 2006

The pain of beauty & the agony of de feet

Today I got my nails done and a pedicure. EVERYONE says pedicures are so relaxing and enjoyable...um... NOT. I suspect "those" people aren't as tickleish as I am when it comes to the feet. Just thinking about someone touching my feet gives me the willies. So for the sake of beautiful feet I went kicking and screaming (pardon the pun) into the salon for the ritual. It seems so inviting. The tub full of warm bubbling water. Little jets massaging away your stress. That part is nice. And the chair... oh the chair of sainthood. Heated and massaging as my feet are being brought back to beauty. But then they start on the feet. First they pull one from the warm girgling water and start their process of torture. The little gal, Lee, also does my nails and it amused her greatly how I jerk and giggle during the entire episode. She suggests that I need to get more pedicures in order to not be so tickleisn...uh huh, right.

So while my feet are beautiful and toes nicely painted (that and my painted nails are my girly characteristics). And, aftersall, it is summer and a girl wearing sandals MUST have painted toes.
As I was sitting anxiously getting my feet beautified I noticed a woman next to me. She was well put together and clearly thought herself important. She talked on the phone almost the entire time. He tone of voice toward Lily (the gal doing her pedicur) just about undid me. She was rude and condescending. Clearly she thought Lily belonged in a lower caste than herself. I was even more astonished to see how polite Lily was to her. I'm not sure I would have been that nice. I likely would have taken that razor thing they use on the callous spots and took her entire little toe off. Which is probably why its good I'm not in that type of service business.

While I chatted away with Lee, Lily suffered on with the feet of Miss Condescending. She and Lee chatted back and forth every now and then in their language - vietnamese - and I half wondered if they were chatting and laughing about Miss Condescending. Apparently their banter was bothering Miss Condescending as she kept interrupting them asking how much longer. I swear Lily went extra slow to annoy her.

I vaguely remember a show, I think it was Sex in the City, in which there was a discussion about this unspoken "caste" system. Every nail salon I've ever been in has been owned and operated by Vietnamese folks. The ones I've been to are all hard workers, friendly, and knowledgeable. I've never thought about them as being in a lower caste. But clearly Miss Condescending does. Too bad really, because I doubt she realizes she's in a lower caste than someone else...

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

That's something men just don't understand - pedicures. Of course, most men don't wear open-toed shoes. When we do, we call them sandles... and there are far too many of us who still wear socks with them...

I'm sure there are plenty of "guy" things that women don't understand, either. You could write a whole blog entry about that!

You can start with our obsession towards boobs. (See my previous comment for clarification...)

Jenn from WA said...

Well, I didn't "get" pedicures for a long time - as in I didn't understand the purpose. Then one day, I was tricked into one...suddenly my unsightly toes had sight. Now I get them only during the summer....BUT the other months of the year, my toes are still painted. Which is, in and of itself, a task considering I can barely see my toes at times.

Nicki said...

I like to give myself pedicures. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and I don't get the kickies on someone because I'm ticklish.