Thursday, July 13, 2006

Entertaining the masses

Many of you know I'm a project management geek. I can't help it. When a former boss about 2 years ago suggested I take project management classes, I never imagined a beast would be awaken inside of me. Project management fit my personality so well, it was like putting on a new skin that was designed just for me.

One of the classes required to pass the certificate courses at Bellevue Community College is the practicum class. This class provides you with a team and a project. Your goal is to successfully see that project to fruition by utilizing all the great things you've learned about project management. The class I took was responsible for developing a website and a club for the Project Management Association at BCC (BCC PMA). I became the Vice President of the Project Management Association at that time and worked with the board to try to make the PMA be a functional association that was a benefit to its members. We were never very successful. We talked a lot, and planned a lot, but did little. Being on the board was frustrating to me because I was giving it my all, and cared about the association. The other board members generally had other lives and didn't really want to put in *that* much effort.

The board has been disbanded and now I'm the "Chairwoman" (though I think I'm going to change my title to President - it sounds better). The board is me, a webmaster Gary (aka the crush) and a BCC representative. My first act as president was to get the name out there. We have a membership base already of about 150, but haven't really don't any promoting of the association for a couple of reasons. One, we had nothing to promote and two we didn't have the bandwidth to promote it.

This gets me to my point, finally. BCC does an orientation class for students who are thinking about taking the project management curriculum. I asked if I could speak about the PMA and to introduce the students to our association. And oh by the way, I'll be teaching the orientation class in October - I'm soooo excited for that.

So last night I presented to about 16 students. Now remember when I said I hate doing presentations...last night was different. I was so in my element. I loved getting up there and talking about this association I am passionate about. I made up little business cards for myself, I had hand outs to send them away with, and I provided them a bunch of reasons to participate in our association.

While I was driving home I thought about a question Gary had asked me once he joined the board as the webmaster. He asked why I put in so much effort into the PMA and questioned if my effort would be better spent in say the Proj Mgmt Institute (the official PMP organization). Not a question anyone had ever asked me, including myself. At the time I told him that I really do care about the success of the association. It was something I helped build and I really believed that it could be successful and that I could make it that way. After my presentation last night, I now believe more than ever that it can be successful and will be. It hasn't been before because we lacked direction and full support of the college. Both we have now. And I have a passion for it. That's what drives me. This passion to spread the word of project management and get people as excited as I am about it. (I realize some may consider this a sickness and think I may need professional help. )

Now if I can only get the webpage updated and looking cool. Anyone out there know web design and is willing to design our webpage update for free?

4 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Is it just me - or is this the debut of "the crush"? I think this is the first time you used a name! (If this was in any way accidental, EDIT QUICK!)

Jenn from WA said...

This was intentional...but with a caveat that I'm 100% sure he doesn't read my blog. Well I think I'm 100% sure. I can't see anything from Seattle on my Stat counter that isn't accounted for by other people... So be it.

Hey,if he doesn't know by now he's not that bright, right? Besides asking him out to a movie should be a sign too...but I hear boys aren't so good with subtleness.

Pall Stanley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pall Stanley said...

In review of the article, I was inspired and thought of the word, collaboration. What if your association reached out to existing creditable sources in the business community to get involved?

What I mean is, perhaps if your associated helped promote other organizations or individuals using there name and or creditable reputation to gain exposure? The Association could even promote seminars, workshops, and more in your community and include perhaps some of the bright instructors on staff at the college to participate.

Existing creditable sources already have a following, right? Offer them some type of assistance in some type of way, perhaps promoting some type of event with one of those sources attached to the event, of course will be your organization or association, the name, and exposure of course, etc.

Working with existing established organizations can help promote your association. Why try at it alone? It won't work in this new market place. Sublimating ones ego and taking chances in allowing others to participate, offering them perhaps exposure also from your end or other attractive means for them even participating in the event you will promote. While promoting others, promote your association answering always the question, why should they join our association? Why should they become apart of another association among the other existing associations on there agenda already?

There are a number of ways to build a successful established organizations. Certainly your passion for the association is great, but its important now to not get tunnel vision, and reach out to others in the community. Is there a risk to being that open? Of course, but without it, organization growth will happen in snail speed.

Ask questions like how can our association help others in the community individually and create functions, events, etc. to do just that. Gain exposure, and acquire new members. Think, what’s in it for them. Try not to be thinking too much about the association your promoting, but think about promoting others and while promoting them, your promoting the association.

Even consider becoming a chapter perhaps of PMI if possible, although I am certain there are many of them probably. Promote PMI, an existing organization through collaboration and gain exposure again. Hopefully, you get my points asserted here, and hopefully it was useful. Did this make sense? All the best!