Saturday, July 01, 2006

One Giant Leap for Jennifer

Have you ever had someone come into your life and you’re so thankful for that person? Like their entire purpose is to help set your boat back on course. That person for me is my friend Claudia. She started as one of my instructors, and then we became friends. She’s been off gallivanting around Italy and has recently returned to reality. She and I met for breakfast this morning as we had a lot to catch up on. She caught me up on her adventures in Europe and I caught her up on the crush. She had some interesting insight into the “right” thing to do with the approaching the crush.

Now, keep in mind, I’m petrified of talking to him about any interest I have towards him. I know. I know. I lose nothing by telling him. He’s a nice enough person that I know even if he didn’t share the interest we’d still be friends. And there is that small percentage of a chance that he’d actually be interested. I know all this. I do.

Anyhow, Claudia had a great explanation that I can’t possibly type out because it takes too much work. But she did talk me into actually taking a step and calling him to invite him to do something tomorrow.

See I had planned a spontaneous trip to Westport tomorrow. It’s a nice weekend and would be a perfect time to take the trip. I sent him an email on Friday to ask him (because it’s easier to do those things with the cloak of email). I hadn’t heard from him. I was just going to let it go. Claudia talked me into calling him. WHAT? Call him? You mean pick up the phone and risk actually talking to him?? Oh god no. No way.

But in the end, I did it. I dialed the phone. It rang. My heart increased its pumping. It rang again. My palms got sweaty. It rang and rang and rang. YES! Voicemail. Voicemail I can do. So I left a message.

Bad timing for him, but still. I made one big step. And for that I feel good.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I know what that can feel like, and it takes a lot to take a step like that. It only gets easier from here.

Ken La Salle said...

Yes! It's a good thing for you because you become a stronger person. It's like lifting weights... relationshipally speaking...