Friday, July 28, 2006

I have no break lights...

Seriously. I have no brake lights. I don't know why. Mom doesn't know why...and get this FORD doesn't know why.

Some random, grumpy commuter drove past me yesterday on the freeway and YELLED out his window to me that I had no brake lights. Not having brake lights, admittedly, is a bad thing and I'm sure annoying for those drivers who I see gripping their wheel in my rear view mirror. I found myself apologizing on the way to work this morning for each of those drivers who as quickly as possible changed lanes. Only a few shook their fists at me. I smiled and waved back acting as if I had no clue. Which, generally speaking, is the case.

I decided on the way to work to swing into Ford to ask them about the brake lights. I should back up first. Last night after said grump told me I had no brake lights, I high tailed it to Schucks...um, where is Schuck's in Lynnwood exactly? So I high tailed it home, logged into internet and then high tailed it to Schucks.

Bob at Schucks was - relatively helpful. He sold me two new brake light bulbs and gave me a screw driver to go change them myself. Um, yah Bob...I'm a girl. I don't do that stuff. But alas, screw driver in hand, intelligence quotient at all time high - I'm sure - how hard could this be. 45 minutes later - two broken nails, several cuss words used that would make a sailor blush and the bulbs were changed. Bob couldn't come out to check my brake lights for "safety" reasons, so off I went. I found a store to back into and check...no brake lights. Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

Now what?

It was almost 8 so I just decided to go home and deal with it in the morning. I did, however find and read the owners manual. In which I found nothing about brake lights and trouble shooting in the event that they don't work AFTER you purchase bulbs. Oh and I should mention that Bob, at Schucks told me on a very constant basis BOTH brake bulbs go out in cars...yah, I know what you're thinking...I was there too. Wait? What? In all my years of driving NEVER have BOTH gone out at the same time. But I digress.

So off to Ford of Kirkland this morning. Now keep in mind, I have an appt with Ford of Kirkland tomorrow to "test" drive another Mustang. Yah I know, I don't need to "test" drive it anymore...I know I want it. But heck, I might as well. I gotta say after their assistance this morning, I'm questioning whether I want to buy a car from them. First, naturally, I didn't have an appt. Which I admitted to the service doofus, we'll call Joe. All I wanted to know from Joe was, IS THERE A FUSE SOMEWHERE I CAN CHANGE? I mean after all, I am a mechanic now that I've changed brake bulbs. I can surely change a fuse. Joe, repeatedly told me they didn't have any scheduled time to fix the car today. And I repeatedly told Joe, I'm not asking that. After several minutes of this, Grace chimed in that what Joe was saying is that it may take them time to check out the car to see why the brake lights aren't working. Ah, finally... English.

Joe wasn't completely useless, he was amusing to watch as he grew more and more anxious with each question I had. Oh and a 1994 Explorer apparently is old, he told me. Dah! He said, and I quote, "That's an old car. I'm not sure how those were built." Okay.....I'm willing to bet any amount of brake fluid that current Explorers aren't THAT different...but who am I...I'm a rookie mechanic.

Moral of the story: Um, yah, there isn't one. Other than I have no brake lights and Joe in Kirkland is dumb. Tomorrow I'll cautiously drive to Kirkland again and drop the car off. Oh goody...a day at a Ford dealership. Perhaps I'll leave with a Mustang who's brake lights do work.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

I feel your frustration. My Ford Escape's brakelights went out, both side brakelights (not the top one) at the same time. I however, took it to my mechanic (not Ford Service) for an oil change and he replaced the bulbs, which actually fixed the problem.

Are you sure you want another Ford? Me, I'll probably get a Toyota next time

Ken La Salle said...

GET A HYBRID!

(Shut up, Ken!)

;p

Al & Jo said...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BABY CAR?? AND HOW DARE THAT MECHANIC CALL MY BABY "OLD"!