Saturday, July 22, 2006

Turn the heat down...sheesh - oh and RECIPE FOUR

You know you've been in Seattle too long when you complain when it rains that you want the sun. Then the day comes when the sun comes out and you complain because it's hot. This was my thermostat in my car that was sitting in the SHADE yesterday. ONE - HUNDRED-AND -FUCKING-THREE!!!!!

And today was not much better. It was riding around 98 degrees today - and now at 9:06PM it's still 84 degrees outside...and interestingly enough 85 in my apartment. I suppose this heat could be my fault...I am, after all, that powerful. I was just saying last week that I was sick and tired of the dreary Seattle-ness that had been lingering. I "wished" for hot weather. I got cocky and well - now I'm paying the price.

Enough of my complaining...for now anyhow, at least for complaining in the blog. I'll be complaining under my breath all night when I can't sleep because it's hot.

RECIPE 4...I think we're on 4. This recipe sounds good today just because of the lemon-ness of it and that sounds refreshing. I also make this as more of a side dish than an actual meal. Though it's pretty tasty the next day as a cold pasta.

MAMACELLO PASTA
1 lb Spaghetti or Linguini
3 T EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil for you NON Rachel Ray types)
4 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped (um yah, I use about 6)
2 pinches Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 C Dry white wine
2 Lemons zest
1 Lemon juiced
1/2 C Heavy Cream
Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 C Fresh Basil, Shredded
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese for topping pasta - I have yet to find Pecorino Romano so I used Parmesan.

Cook Pasta. Reserve a cup of the liquid.

Heat a deep dish skillet over low heat and add EVOO. When the EVOO is warm, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Turn off the heat and set the garlic aside for 5 minutes, then raise the heat to medium. Add the wind and lemon zest and boil to reduce the wine by half, about 3 minutes.

When the pasta is just about cooked, add a ladle of the starchy pasta cooking water to the skillet with the sauce and stir in the heavy cream. When the cream is warmed through, whisk in lemon juice into the sauce and season with salt.

Drain pasta and toss with sauce, parsley, basil and a couple of handfuls of cheese.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

As far as the weather goes, we're never happy, are we?

Jenn from WA said...

I guess we're fair weather "weather" friends. = )